Our vision is to beat Honda Activa. So first, we have to build a budget scooter that has a great rider experience. Thereafter, build distribution, find financing partners, provide strong after-sales service and much more.
But first, the scooter's got to be absolutely kickass. Here's what we have in mind for our scooter Maverick in terms of performance..
Btw, it's not really an apples to apples comparison between an ICE vehicle vs an EV in the sense that electric vehicles can be made to be not just very high performance, but also tech savvy. We want to make Maverick a no brainer when it is compared with any competitor (even ICE) in its price range and follow a PSS framework to help establish it.
- Performant (boasts of high speed, strong acceleration, excellent range, low charging times)
- Smartest (keyless access, profile based and self improving drivetrain, Geofencing, Remote access, OTA upgrades) and
- Safest (emergency contact notifications, blind spot alerts, ambulance alerts)
We would enable this with our self made powertrain (a powerful mid drive motor, an in house controller, a self made battery pack with our own BMS) and software to run and make it better. We would do this within a very affordable budget. This (building a high tech electric two wheeler, the first of its kind in the world, at an affordable price) a damn hard problem and would ultimately become our secret sauce, acting like an entry barrier.
Let's go one level deeper into this.
- Battery Pack: It is absolutely essential to make a thermally better battery pack for better battery life. We are also building our own BMS, to ensure a better control on the battery pack, its life and fault tolerance.
- Thermally Better Pack: Due to unique design and CFD analysis, the battery pack is able to manage the air flow to make it more thermally stable.
- Accurate estimation of charge: This gives high confidence to the rider on the vehicle to see how many kms will it go in the remaining charge. Always improving algorithms depending upon various load conditions gives us ability to predict the estimation of charge accurately.
- Proprietary balancing, charging, discharging and fault algorithms: kWh BMS is driven by our own well tuned data acquisition system. We read real time current, voltage, temperature sensor values accurately and feed this data into complex software algorithms for giving better state of health, battery protection and real time fault handling. This increases battery life.
- Smart BMS: Cloud connectivity ensures the data collected is stored locally and streamed to the cloud server. This helps us run our machine learning algorithms to tune, improve our algorithms and config parameters collecting various information like load variations, drive train data, tilt sensor data and much more. This data will be tested and eventually would allow to ship an update Over-the-air-updates (OTA) to the BMS to improve range and power delivery efficiency.
- Power Train:
- FOC Motor Control: Field Oriented Control (FOC) gives us an advantage as compared with other vehicles to optimize power by giving more torque in less current. Hence, balancing torque and rpm effectively.
- Advance Power Electronics: Ensuring optimized power flow from battery to motor by using proprietary DC/DC converters help run motor more efficiently without compromising the torque and power wastage.
- Intelligent regenerative braking would enhance range by 5% by giving additional battery power during deceleration.
- Intelligent Vehicle OS: At kWh, we are building our own interoperable, scalable vehicle operating system. The operating system remains the core kernel of the vehicle which manages the vehicle software services. With the help of sensors like GPS, IMU, tilt sensor, real time data from motor, real time data from BMS, the vehicle OS is able to make decisions effectively in lieu of the complete vehicle and maintain the safety, security of the vehicle at all times. Multiple software services that effectively communicate to the cloud and run at all times on the vehicle are :
- Safety Services: The goal of this software service is to make sure the vehicle gives indications to the rider in case of battery failure, motor malfunction, or an alert during unsafe conditions. The State of Health, the peak current of the battery and drive train data are continually analyzed while the rider is riding the scooter. The system is able to notify the user by displaying an alert on the dashboard in case of a system failure. The safety APIs are interfaced with the cloud directly and enable a fleet owner or a user to call for help or inform someone in case of emergency.
- Security Services: Security service ensures the safety of the vehicle. Having a GPS which is connected to the vehicle can give alerts to user mobile apps or send SMS in case of unauthorized access of the vehicle. It also takes care of the capability where a user shall be able to share the lock/unlock to a friend via sharing a token.
- Crash Detection and Panic Notifications Services: In case there is a crash, Crash detection service can promptly take action of notifying the people in the emergency contact list via an automated call or SMS. This happens via a cloud server since kWh Server maintains continuous connectivity.
- Tracking Services: Live Location services can be used by fleet owners or delivery companies to monitor the rider. Live location could be shared continuously with people in the contact list via the app for a limited time. This is very useful for fleet owners so that they could potentially “Geo Lock” the vehicle for efficient parcel tracking. We provide APIs for B2B companies to allow access to the location through KWH cloud.
- Traceability Services: In case of finding a scooter in the parking lot, or during a theft where the scooter is lifted up, the scooter remains continuously connected to the cloud and would be able to give the owner ability to trace from a web dashboard.